As one of the first trading companies in Mauritius, Harel Mallac has supported the blossoming Mauritian economy while pioneering major sectors such as retail, fertilisers and technology.
The company’s activities started on one side in 1789, when Charles-Pierre Harel, from Saint-Malo, Brittany, France, was authorised by the Governor of Isle de France to charter merchant ships from Port-Louis. On another side, the Mallac family started their business activities in 1830 with a company bearing the name ‘P. Elias and Tristan Mallac’, which later became ‘P. Elias, Mallac et Compagnie’. In 1920, Tristan Mallac, the company heir, married Louise Harel and their union resulted in the creation of ‘Harel Mallac & Co’.
Initially located at La Chaussée, in the heart of Port-Louis, the company had specialised in commerce, import-export and insurance, while also supplying loans to local planters. Following the destruction of its premises by a fire in 1893, Harel Mallac & Co. moved its offices to Rempart Street, better known at present as Edith Cavell Street.
Incorporated in 1956, Harel Mallac & Co. Ltd. has accompanied strategic Mauritian industries to supply high-quality products, services and expertise which would contribute to bettering their performance. The visionary and daring personalities of its leaders helped giving our country a more prominent role on the world stage, whilst providing new opportunities to better the lives of Mauritians.
Listed on the Stock Exchange of Mauritius since 1991, Harel Mallac stands today as a key conglomerate that still has at heart to make available to Mauritian businesses of the best the world offers.